i um'ed and ah'ed a bit over what size to make, my measurements best match size 40 in the size chart. in the end i went with a size 36 making this decision based on the finished measurements chart. the 36 would give me a couple inches ease in the bust and 3/4" ease at the hips. i basted the front and back together at the side seams to check the fit and see if i needed to let the hips out a bit, but i was happy enough with the fit so went ahead and finished the dress as a straight 36.
now the dress is finished i am very happy with the overall fit - snug enough for a 'sack' dress, but still enough room to move.
i quite like the high low hem line. the high hemline at the front and side splits are a bit higher than i would normally wear to work, but given the low back hemline i think overall the hemline is ok for my work place.
i am often tempted to put fish eye darts in the back of sack dresses to reduce sagging at the back and give them a bit more shape, but the back of this dress is pretty straight up and down so i wasn't tempted to put in any darts.
its a bit hard to make out the cocoon shape when the dress is being worn, but the photo below gives a good indication of the shape.
i must admit that when i was sewing up this dress and had the front and back basted together i tried it on and thought i'd made another dud. but i persisted with putting the sleeves in and finishing the dress. i'm so happy that i did as now i have worn it once to work i think its a great comfy dress. again i must admit when i first tried on the dress i was thinking that i would be putting the pattern in the recycle bin, but i am now planning another in a black and white rayon i have in my stash.
third time lucky - winner winner chicken dinner!
til next time,