the pattern is simplicity 4047. i had a few straight skirt patterns in my stash to choose from, but i chose this one as google images collated a few examples for me that looked good. in terms of sizing my waist and hips correlate with size 16 but i cut a 14 - basically because my pattern was only size 6-14. i basted the side seams first and then ended up taking it in and cutting my lining as a size 12.
the sewing of this make was very straight forward, although i found the bulk of the wool a bit tricky for two aspects - the zip and the back vent. i used a conventional zip and needed to do my exposed stitching line quite wide given the bulk of the fabric, so i also hand stitched the zip on the inside closer to the zip teeth so my zip opening does not gap...too much.
the other area i have a bit of bulk is the back vent. i have only made lapped back vents before so i didn't even check the pattern for construction of the vent. when i got to this stage i had a look at the instructions and found that the vent was constructed using an additional piece called a 'pleat underlay'. grrr i then had to unfold all of the tissue to locate this small piece. i do actually like how the back pleat works, but on this skirt it is a tad bulky given the weight of the wool. to do the top stitching of the pleat i used some quilters quarter inch tape as a guide.
this skirt is super warm and great to wear. i lined it with black radiance from fabric.com as i couldn't get any more elegance from martha pullen. both fabrics are sold as 55% cotton 45% silk, but the elegance is easier to sew with, not being so slippery. regardless both are great linings and the radiance makes the skirt feel great on. i like the contrast of the mustard wool and black silk/cotton too.
and a few more pics...
back and front.
back darts and lapped zip.
hello too to all the victorian bloggers and non-bloggers i met up with recently in melbourne. it was fantastic to meet you all - i had a super fun arvo! thanks again for organising rachel.